.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, November 14, 2005

 

Movies: Seen: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang & Legend of Zorro

Saw two movies over the weekend: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Legend of Zorro.

Kiss Kiss stars Robert Downey Jr, Val Kilmer, Michelle Monaghan, and Corbin Bernsen. The film's writing is by Shane Black, the writer behind "Lethal Weapon" and the film itself is loosely based on the Brett Halliday novel: "Bodies Are Where You Find Them." Since I liked the film, I assume that it will do poorly at the box office and be critically disliked. Regardless, I found the modern-day film noiresque movie to be rather enjoyable, well-acted, and well, overall - good (I gave it a 4.64 out of 5). Oh, I suppose I should warn others of the R-rating for brief nudity, violence and profanity.

Looked for critics take, and found I was wrong. Metacritic found 72 generally favorable reviews out of 100 (that's the way they word it, it is actually based on 37 reviews). Roger Ebert's review has been converted by Metacritic into a score of 63 out of 100.

Rotten Tomatoes, another website that collects critics reviews, gives the movie a Fresh rating of 80%, i.e. 80% of the reviews liked the film. 101 reviews counted, 81 found the film to be Fresh and 20 found it to be Rotten.

In limited release, the Kiss Kiss movie has made $1,321,401 in the US, and roughly $1,487,338 in foreign theaters, according to Variety.com (they give the opening weekend as 10/21/05).

"Legend of Zorro": I realize that it is a critically disliked movie, and to a certain extent that kept me from checking out the film until Saturday. The film isn't a great classic work of art, but it was a good action/adventure/espionage film that I personally found to be an enjoyable diversion. I gave the film a rating of 4.43 out of 5. First time in a long time I've seen and liked two movies this much in the same weekend. I tend to give movies ratings around 4.20, rarely that much higher, and more commonly somewhat lower.

Rotten Tomatoes noted that only 25% of 114 films found the movie to be Fresh (28 reviews), while most (86) found the film to be rotten.

Meta Critic.com found a collection of reviews that liked the film better than the collection of reviews found by Rotten Tomatoes, but even so, it gave a rating of 47 out of 100 and its rating is based on 33 reviews.

In wide release, the Zorro movie has made roughly $32,888,737 since 10/28/05 in the US and roughly $22.55 million in foreign coin, according to Variety.com.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?