.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, May 09, 2005

 

Film: Movies Seen

During the last two weekends I've had two days wherein I watched two moves in a row.

On April 30th I saw The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2nd weekend: $9.1 million) and then immediately thereafter I watched Sin City.

Unfortunately, I saw the Hitchhiker mini-series about a month before I saw the movie, and while it was nice to see the movie on the big-screen, I spent most of my time comparing and contrasting the movie and the mini-series. The film was ok, might have been better if I hadn't just seen the mini-series.

I hadn't planned to watch Sin City, and was thinking that I might skip it, but I watched it anyway and found that I liked it a lot more than I expected.

On May 8th I saw XXX: State of the Union (2nd weekend: $5.4 million) and then immediately thereafter I saw Kingdom of Heaven (1st weekend: $20 million domestic, $56 million international).

Despite the lackluster performance at the box office, I decided to watch XXX2 during its second weekend at the box office. For some reason, I just couldn't get into the movie, and in the end, would probably give it something around 3.5 out of 5 stars.

I had gone to the theater to see Kingdom of Heaven, but because of the start times, I couldn't see it immediately and watched XXX2 instead. My method of movie watching rarely requires me to watch any commercials and occasionally requires seeing some previews. I bought a ticket for the 3:45 Kingdom of Heaven showing right after XXX2 ended (around 3:57). I arrived, found a good seat, and watched a couple of previews, while missing the long annoying commercials I'd otherwise have to sit through. Kingdom of Heaven was an interesting movie, and I ended up giving it 4.4 out of 5 stars (I doubt it, but I might review it eventually, like I did for Kung Fu Hustle and Sahara).

Washington Post.com's box office article.
Entertainment Weekly's chart.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?